Fastnachts (1900)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Dec 27 00:16:28 UTC 2005

I didn't see "fastnachts" (Shrove Tuesday treats) in the PA Civil War
archive. It's not in OED. Is "fastnachts" in DARE (I don't have that  handy)?
_http://www.kitchenproject.com/kpboard/recipes/GERMAN%20FASTNACHTS.htm_
(http://www.kitchenproject.com/kpboard/recipes/GERMAN%20FASTNACHTS.htm)

 (http://www.recipecottage.com/) GERMAN FASTNACHTS  (DROP DONUTS)

The Lutherans call these Fastnachts and are supposed to eat  them on Shrove
Tuesday; the Mennonites call them Raised Doughnuts and will eat  them any time.
They're wonderful, warm or cold, with maple syrup, or sprinkled  with sugar
_http://teriskitchen.com/padutch/fastnachts-b.html_
(http://teriskitchen.com/padutch/fastnachts-b.html)
FASTNACHTS (PA Dutch Yeast Doughnuts)

MAKES 4 to 5 DOZEN
Fastnacht Day is a special Pennsylvania Dutch celebration that falls on
Shrove Tuesday, the day before Ash Wednesday. It actually translates to "Fast
Night". The tradition is to eat the very best, and lots of it, before the Lenten
fast. Fastnachts (pronounced fost-nokts) are doughnuts. There are three types
of  fastnachts, one made with yeast, one made with potatoes and yeast, and
the other  without either. All are crispy on the outside and not as sweet as
standard  doughnuts, which I love. My family always had cruellers, at least in my
memory,  which do not use yeast. I have recipes for both the yeast
Fastnachts, as in this  posting, and _Cruellers_
(http://teriskitchen.com/padutch/fastnachts.html) , which are  considerably less time consuming and my personal
favorite. Traditionally, all  fastnachts were made with, and fried in, lard. I have
altered that in the  recipes since it is so difficult to find.
(_WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM_ (http://www.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM) )
_The News_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=QHMdF73tEsiKID/6NLMW2sR8ORWzwaZ08vej2i3xgxwmhf5vxR8+REIF+CsZYmrz)  _Thursday,  February 22,
1900_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=fastnachts+AND+date:1900-02-22)  _Frederick,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=fastnachts+AND+cityid:10490+AND+stateid:49+AND+range:1753-1907)   _Maryland_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=fastnachts+AND+stateid:49+AND+r
ange:1753-1907)   ...when the  guests will be served with FASTNACHTS,
crullers, coffee, The  ladies..