conked/konked hair (1943)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Dec 28 21:39:53 UTC 2005

" ... 'to get gassed' means to get a konk or hair-straightening job ..."

<
www.jazzinchicago.org/.../ArticleView/articleId/194/LouisArmstrongInHisOwnWordsbyLouisArmstrong.aspx

According to this URL, this is a Satchmo-ism, unfortunately undated. In the
early '40's, when I was a grade-schooler in St. Louis, a "gas job" was
distinct from a professionally-done conk/konk, the former being a crude,
do-it-yourself, hair-straightening job worn by boys and young men. This
hair-do was accomplished by simply running one's mother's/sister's/girl
friend's heated hair-straightening comb through one's hair.

Unfortunately, I have not the slightest clue as to why either Satchmo or
black St. Louisans referred to this kind of thing as a "gas" job. Well, a
straightening comb - also used in conking/konking - in those days was
typically heated on a burner of a stove. That could imply gas, perhaps. But
most black people that I knew in those days had kerosene or even coal or
wood stoves, not gas ones.

-Wilson Gray