day-and-date

Sat Dec 31 06:59:20 UTC 2005

A big buzzword in Hollywood is "day-and-date" (adv./adj./n., not in
OED or elsewhere)...

http://google.com/search?q=day-and-date+site:variety.com
http://google.com/search?q=day-and-date+site:hollywoodreporter.com

Nowadays it refers to the release of a movie simultaneously in
theaters, on DVD, and even on pay-TV (as with Steven Soderbergh's
coming releases). Before that it referred to the same-day release of a
movie in theaters worldwide, nationwide, or -- going back to the early
days of cinema -- in one particular region.

* day-and-date, adv. 'on the same day and date; (released) simultaneously'

1922 _Iowa City Press Citizen_ 27 Jan. 5 (advt.) We played it day and
date in our two theatres and we had announced our intention of playing
it day and date for first run in all three of our Detroit houses.

1922 _Chronicle Telegram_ (Elyria, Ohio) 28 June 7 (advt.) Do you
realize that Elyria has the theatre beautiful? ... And that it runs
all big Paramount pictures day and date with the big first run
Cleveland houses?

1924 _Oakland Tribune_ 28 Dec. W3/8 Charles Chaplin's drama, "A Woman
of Paris" is having its general release in Paris and playing fourteen
theaters day and date.

1928 _Los Angeles Times_ 9 June II9/4 All records for motion pictures
have just been broken by Harold Lloyd's latest picture,"Speedy," when
it played day and date in all the Keith-Albee and Proctor theaters
last week in New York and its environs.
[HNP Doc ID 465538542]

1934 _Washington Post_ 31 Mar. 12/1 The Ambassador Theater, beginning
this Sunday, will play its opening attraction day-and-date, as the
saying goes, with one of the Warner downtown first-run houses.
[HNP Doc ID 252417612]

1981 _New York Times_ 6 Aug. C16/3 Seventeen months ago, he inflamed
theater owners by announcing that Fox would soon be releasing its
movies "day-and-date" in theaters and on cassettes and disks for home
use.
[HNP Doc ID 112241314]

* day-and-date, adj. 'simultaneous; characterized by same-day release
in theaters, etc.'

1930 _Appleton (Wisc.) Post Crescent_ 8 Feb. 3/1 This showing of "Show
Boat" is day and date with the Chicago engagement.

1930 _Los Angeles Times_ 7 Dec. III11/1 Warner Brothers adopted a
"day-and-date" policy, giving Wahpeton, N.D. an even break with
Broadway on all their productions.
[HNP Doc ID 379211961]

1940 _Chicago Defender_ 6 Jan. 21/1 A new all-time record for number
of day-and-date openings is predicted for "The Hunchback of Notre
Dame."
[HNP Doc ID 745566382]

1950 _New York Times_ 22 June 22 40/3 Run-of-paper, half-page
newspaper ads will be used on a large scale by Universal-International
Pictures for a day-and-date nationwide opening of Winchester 73, new
Western movie, on July 12.
[HNP Doc ID 84660119]

2005 _Associated Press Newswires_ 29 Apr. (Factiva) HDNet Films' first
release of the "day-and-date" concept was the documentary "Enron: The
Smartest Guys in the Room," which was released in theaters April 22
and on television on HDNet Movies.

* day-and-date, n. 'simultaneous release in theatres, etc.;
distribution policy favoring such releases'

1980 _Globe and Mail_ (Toronto) 21 June E1 (Factiva) Distributors
began talking about concepts such as "day and date" (simultaneous
openings downtown and in the suburbs).

2004 _Variety_ 16 May 54/3 Citing his current worldwide day-and-date,
"Van Helsing," Kosse said he thinks the film..has greatly benefited
from the blanket global strategy. ... DeLaurentiis feels day-and-date
is definitely the future for tentpole and wannabe-tentpole product,
particularly as an anti-piracy measure.
http://www.variety.com/graphics/print_pdfs/0516CD54.pdf

2005 _Hollywood Reporter_ (online) 17 Mar. "Day-and-date is something
everyone will continue to do," he added. "With piracy concerns, you
almost can't not do it."
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000845138

--Ben Zimmer