"Why make one woman miserable?" (1929, 1937, 1943?)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Feb 1 03:46:17 UTC 2005

It's the classic statement for bachelorhood. Why make one woman miserable
when you can make a hundred women happy?
Except in my case. Why make one woman miserable when you can make no woman
miserable?
The line was widely heard in the 1960s. I remember it attached to Joe  Namath
of the New York Jets.
It appears to have come from the movies. (I don't have the scripts before
me.) THE LAST OF MRS. CHEYNEY was made in 1929 and again in 1937. HEAVEN CAN
WAIT was made in 1943. It appears that both movies used the line, with HEAVEN
CAN WAIT giving it the form that it popularly has.
(GOOGLE)
_Quotes_ (http://xepher.net/~dcbueller/quotes.htm)
... I think I know where  my bad memory comes from, hehe. Why make one  woman
miserable when you can make thousands happy? - Anonymous  ...
xepher.net/~dcbueller/quotes.htm - 25k - _Cached_
(http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:kcYgPkHjj3kJ:xepher.net/~dcbueller/quotes.htm+"one+woman+miserable"&
hl=en&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:xepher.net/~dcbueller/quotes.htm)
(GOOGLE)
_One-Liner Archive 1_ (http://www.mcewan001.freeserve.co.uk/oneline.html)
... Why get  married and make one woman miserable, when you can stay  foot
loose
and fancy free and make thousands fuckin' miserable! ...
www.mcewan001.freeserve.co.uk/oneline.html - 56k -  Supplemental Result -
_Cached_
(http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:Wh3MEnv21FsJ:www.mcewan001.freeserve.co.uk/oneline.html+"one+woman+miserable"&hl=en&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.mcewan001.frees
erve.co.uk/oneline.html)
..
(GOOGLE)
_http://www.websters-online-dictionary.org/definition/english/ma/marrying.html
_
(http://www.websters-online-dictionary.org/definition/english/ma/marrying.html)
By marrying I can make only one woman miserable. (_The Last of Mrs. Cheyney_
(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/external-search?tag=icongroupinterna&keyword
=Last of Mrs. Cheyney, The&mode=dvd) ; writing credit: Hanns Kr䬹; Frederick
Lonsdale)
(NEWSPAPERARCHIVE)
     _Nevada State Journal _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=thiGuD36VKiKID/6NLMW2k+T0Y1h9mbngOrm+r1/4ovLnesTayQdBg==)  Saturday, January
08, 1944 _Reno,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:reno+one+woman+miserable)  _Nevada_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:nevada+one+woman+miserable)      ...bachelor. Why should I make
ONE WOMAN MISERABLE, when I can stay single.....out  Jf the scenes in 1918.
This is ONE el the first movies where  the..
Pg. 8, col. 2:
"The picture I like best was 'Heaven Can Wait', because it reminded me of
parts of my own life. I don't care for Don Ameche or Gene Tierney, but I liked
the old-fashioned atmosphere, and I liked the way Don made so many women
happy.  Like me. I'm a perennial bachelor. Why should I make one woman miserable,
when I  can stay single and make lots of women happy>"
     _Clearfield Progress _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=e0sfgs8TnFyKID/6NLMW2hqQQ2ydsVgqGxyQM3+TMUemvP4cXiVJ4UIF+CsZYmrz)  Saturday,
October 08, 1927 _Clearfield,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:clearfield+one+woman+miserable)  _Pennsylvania_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:pennsylvania+one+woman+miserable)
...women happy for a little  while and ONE WOMAN MISERABLE for life. For,  ONE
kiss.....it is ONE man's metier to make ONE  WOMAN happy for life, ami
another..
Pg. 4. col. 2:
For, verily, verily, unto every man his mission!
And per adventure, it is one man's metier to make one woman happy for life,
and another man's appointed task to make all women happy for a little while
and  one woman miserable for life.diof a Married Woman by Helen Rowland--ed.)
     _Frederick Post _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=ssVO2f5ZuruKID/6NLMW2oy7tVp81eoBeb8h4w5+FLtWDG4MEEanEkIF+CsZYmrz)  Wednesday, April
26, 1995 _Frederick,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:frederick+one+woman+miserable)  _Maryland_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:maryland+one+woman+miserable)      ...Why should he
marry and  make ONE WOMAN MISERABLE, when he can remain.....the  golden years
culture. On the ONE hand, some retirees need work  to..