Woman, Dog, and Hickory Tree (1909)

Tue Feb 1 19:09:35 UTC 2005

Wilson Gray contributes:

One version of the final verse of "Junker Partner," a New Orleans black
traditional song:

Give me water when I'm thirsty
Give me whiskey when I'm dry
Give me kindness when I'm sickly
Give me heaven when I die
 <<<<<

I know forms of this from the song that is called variously "Rambler
Gambler", "Rye Whiskey", etc. Here are two excerpts from lyrics found on the
Mudcat Cafe web site.

http://www.mudcat.org/@displaysong.cfm?SongID=2966
I'M A RAMBLER, I'M A GAMBLER c

I'm a rambler, I'm a gambler, I'm a long way from home;
And if you don't like me, just leave me alone.
I'll eat when I 'm hungry , I'll drink when I'm dry,
And if the whiskey don't kill me, I'll live till I die.

[I know this one as "And if moonshine..."]

http://www.mudcat.org/@displaysong.cfm?SongID=5116
RYE WHISKEY

I'll eat when I'm hungry,
I'll drink when l'm dry,
If the hard times don't kill me,
I'll lay down and die.

[...]

Beefsteak when l'm hungry,
Red liquor when l'm dry,
Greenbacks when I'm hard up,
And religion when I die.

-- Mark
[This text prepared with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.]