"Grass Roots"

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Wed Feb 2 21:21:22 UTC 2005

Michael Quinion, I believe, asked about this recently.  I searched
ProQuest Historical Newspapers/American Periodical Series, and the hits
there seem to start in July 1912, the same month as the OED's first use.
It does seem that the term started then in connection with the Roosevelt
"Bull Moose" candidacy for president.

Fred Shapiro