Is Evel Knievel a Pimp?

FRITZ JUENGLING juengling_fritz at SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US
Wed Feb 2 22:21:53 UTC 2005

My question really is about the student who does intend to call someone 'penis' because nearly everyone uses 'dork' to mean 'nerd' or he does not know that there is another meaning to 'dork.'

>>> JMB at STRADLEY.COM 02/02/05 01:50PM >>>
        Bear in mind that these are different areas of the law.  The Knievel case was about the law of defamation (slander/libel).  The hypothetical case against your school district would be based instead on the student's right to be free of arbitrary and capricious governmental process or on the student's right to free speech.

        The free speech claim isn't going to get far if the student was insulting another student at school, whether the student meant nerd or penis, so the student would have to proceed on the arbitrary governmental process theory.  Assuming that your school district's rules are clearly set out somewhere (e.g., what you describe would not be sexual harassment in the legal sense even if everyone understood "dork" to mean a penis, but the school certainly could proscribe that), then the student would essentially have to show that the school district's policy, as applied, was so unreasonable as to be unsustainable.  For example, if a teacher overheard a student call another one a nerd and the student were suspended because the teacher erroneously understood a nerd to be a penis, then the student might have a claim.

        This is not legal advice.

John Baker