Cuckoo's nest; "Monkey, Monkey, bottle of beer" (1892); "Sin to steal a pin" (1840, 1857)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Feb 3 04:59:12 UTC 2005

Quickly, before NYU closes at midnight.
 Â  Â
 Â  Â
THE VILLAGE FLORIST.
MRS. HOFLAND. Parley's Magazine (1833-1844). New York: Oct 1840. Vol. 8; p. 306 (9 pages)
Pg. 310:
...and it so happened that I sung what I learnt that morning--
"It is a sin to steal a pin,
Much more to steal a greater thing."
Article 1 -- No Title
The Genesee Farmer (1845-1865). Rochester: Sep 1856. Vol. 17, Iss. 9; p. 291 (2 pages)
First page:
"It is a sin to steal a pin," &c.
 Â  Â
THINGS WISE AND OTHERWISE. Â  Â Harper's Weekly , 12/5/1857
Old Gent.
Volume: 1857 Â  Issue: 12/05 Â  Page Range: 0782d-0783a
THE CLOCK.

A mechanic his labor will often discard,
If the rate of his pay he dislikes;
But a clock—and its case is uncommonly hard—
Will continue to work though it strikes.
Old Mrs. Darnley is a pattern of household economy.
She says she has made a pair of socks last fifteen years
by only knitting new feet to them every winter and new
legs to them every other winter.A political paper, speaking of an opponent, says: “Our
quondam friend reminds us of the valorous chap in the
war of 1812, who mistook a heavy wind for the approach
of the British, as he lay in bed one night. Shaking with
the fear of imaginary danger, he woke his wife, and ex-
claimed, `Snug up to my back, Betsy! let's meet the in-
imy manfully!'”The world is for the working hour; but home is the
place of refuge. We come to it when we are weary or
weak; our refreshment is there, our rest is there, we re-
flect there, we recover from sickness there, and when we
die in peace, we die there.Campbell, the poet, when speaking of the spring, says:
“The Queen of the spring, as she passed down the vale,
Left her robe on the trees, and her breath on the gale.”In a log school-house in Wiscousin, placed conspicu-
ously upon the wall, may be seen the following poetic
version of the eighth commandment:
“It is a sin to steal a pin—
It is a greater to steal a tater.”
 Â  Â
THE WORLD OF ART: Paintings and Prints in Summer Exhibitions
New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Jul 22, 1923. p. BR16 (2 pages)
Second page:
You yourself are moved to incantation, the ancient chant of the nursery game--played upon small interested minors(Recheck--ed.): "Here is the Church and here is the Steeple: Open the Door an see all the People."
 Â  Â
   Anaconda Standard  Sunday, February 23, 1902 Anaconda, Montana   Â
...shall I settle on? MONKEY, MONKEY, a BOTTLE OF BEER. How many nice ones are.....OF the strength OF their position AND OF much OF -their product, are above..
 Â  Â  Â
DECIDEDLY CLEVER.; A Parrot That Could Speak Two Hundred Words.
Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.: Feb 11, 1892. p. 6 (1 page):
Here are some of the things thatthe bird said which the reporter had time ti catch: "Monkey, monkey, bottle of beer, how many monkeys are there here?"...
Playground Democracy.; Comnaner
Current Literature (1888-1912). New York: Oct 1901. Vol. VOL. XXXI.,, Iss. No. 4; p. 432 (2 pages)
Seonc page:
Wire, briar, limber, lock,'Three geese in a flock;
One flew east, one flew west,
One flew over the cuckoo's nest.
(...)
Monkey, monkey, bottle of beer,