Nothing to declare; Rotten tangerine (1959); Taste & Try (1882); Bread & Butter (1886)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Feb 3 07:28:42 UTC 2005

NOTHING TO DECLARE

OSCAR WILDE DISCOVERS AMERICA (1882)
by Lloyd Lewis and Henry Justin SMith
New York: Harcourt Brace and COmpany
1936

Pg. 31, Book Two, Chapter One, "NOTHING TO DECLARE BUT MY GENIUS"

Pg. 35: The sip at length was at the dock. Wilde and Morse came to the customs' inspector, behind whom massed a crowd watching Oscar. "It appears," wrote he to Sarah Bernhardt a little later, "that some of the numerous imaginative ones who are at work to make me famous had spread the story that I slept in gorgeous lace nightgowns."

His luggage was opened. No lace nightgowns appeared.

"Have you anything to declare?" asked the blue-clad inspector.

"Nothing," said Oscar; "nothing but my genius."

("Arrival of Oscar Wilde" in in the New York Tribune, 3 January 1882, pg. 5, col. 4, but I didn't see anything--ed.)

EAGLE'S/CUCKOO'S NEST; "BREAD AND BUTTER, COME TO SUPPER"

See the "cuckoo's nest" (1885) in the ADS-L archives. "Monkey, monkey, barrel of beer" (not "bottle of beer") is in the same post.

FOLK-LORE FROM ADAMS COUNTY ILLINOIS has "bread and butter, come to supper" on page 632, and "Hot boiled beans and very good butter, Ladies and gentlemen come to supper" on page 634.

(AMERICAN PERIODICAL SERIES ONLINE)
Parlor Amusements.; THE BLIND MAN'S WAND. MAGIC MUSIC.
Arthur's Home Magazine (1861-1870). Philadelphia: Jul 1862. Vol. 20; p. 60 (1 page):
Hot boil'd beans, and very good butter;
Won't you please to come to supper?

GAMES.; PRISONER'S BARS. THE KANGAROO. HOT BROAD BEANS. FLY AWAY.
Godey's Lady's Book and Magazine (1854-1882). New York: Jul 1880. Vol. 101, Iss. 601; p. 101 (1 page):
HOT BROAD BEANS.

This is a game of hide and seek, wherein one player hides some small thing about the room, the others of course hiding their eyes. When the hider is ready for them to seek it, she calls out: "Hot broad beans and very good butter; ladies and gentlemen, come to supper"--upon which they all begin to search. WHen they are near the place where it is, the hider calls out: "You are getting hot!" If they are far away she say: "You are cold!" The one who finds it take the turn to hide.

"THE LAND OF THE SKY;" OR, ADVENTURES IN MOUNTAIN BY-WAYS.
BY CHRISTIAN REID.. Appletons' Journal of Literature, Science and Art (1869-1876). New York: Sep 25, 1875. Vol. VOL. XIV., Iss. No. 340.; p. 385 (4 pages):
Pg. 387:
"It reminds me of the old nursery game--'One flew east, and one flew west, and one flew over the eagle's nest.'"

CAROLS AND CHILD-LORE AT THE CAPITAL.
W H Babcock. Lippincott's Monthly Magazine (1886-1915). Philadelphia: Sep 1886. Vol. 38; p. 320 (23 pages)
Various pages:

One to the east, one to the west,
One goes to the cuckoo's nest.
(...)
Hot bread and butter,
Please come to supper.
(...)
Star, star that shines so bright,
The first star I've seen to-night.
I hope I wish, I hope I may,
I hope my wish may come true
To-morrow night.

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
Old Songs and New, Adapted and Made by Aunt Anna
The Washington Post (1877-1954). Washington, D.C.: Nov 23, 1919. p. D10 (1 page):
Bread and butter,
Come to supper?
Oh--dear--no!
That is what
They gave to children
Long--time--ago--

(NEWSPAPERARCHIVE)
   Ironwood Daily Globe  Wednesday, February 10, 1926 Ironwood, Michigan
...RESULTS SALLY ANN "BREAD AND BUTTER COME TO SUPPER" piled The SUPPER call.....AND rosy. Say TO them every clay "BREAD is your Best Food Eat more o it..

"TASTE AND TRY BEFORE YOU BUY"

"Taste and try before you buy" is in FOLK-LORE FROM ADAMS COUNTY ILLINOIS, pg. 641.

(NEWSPAPERARCHIVE)
   Chester Times  Tuesday, May 02, 1882 Chester, Pennsylvania
...Convention is now in order. TASTE AND TRY, before you BUY. WE desire to give.....corner 01 Tiiird AND Market streets, AND delivered in Chester AND vicinity..

   Chester Times  Thursday, April 12, 1883 Chester, Pennsylvania
...with tho CHESTER TIMKS. TASTE AND TRY, before you BUY. boll -will soon.....the other night, was in such bad TASTE that President Broomali called him..

   Chester Times  Tuesday, June 16, 1885 Chester, Pennsylvania
...next to please the people. TASTE AND TRY before you BUY, by worrying the life.....is the summer book? Ask a bookseller. TRY his skill with his plenteous store..

"...ON THE BEAN WITH A ROTTEN TANGERINE..."

(NEWSPAPERARCHIVE)
   Herald  Thursday, February 05, 1959 Chicago, Illinois
...glory TeAcher HIT ME WITH A RULER. I HIT her on the beAn WITH A rcUcn.....ClAsses Older brother HorAce surprises ME by beAting the tiME but then he's..
Pg. ?, col. 2:
"Glory, glory hallelujah!
Teacher hit me with a ruler.
I hit her on the bean
With a rotten tangerine
And we ain't gonna see her no more."

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
YOUNG READERS
The Washington Post (1974-Current file). Washington, D.C.: Jun 8, 1980. p. PAGE12 (1 page):
_The Silly Song Book, compiled by Charles Keller;...
Remember this variation on the refrain of "The Battle Hymn of the Republic"? "Glory, glory how peculiar. Teacher hit me with a ruler, cause I bopped her on the bean with a rotten tangerine, And the juice came running down." Other favorites include "Do Your Ears Hang Low?" and that classic with the lyric, "Be kind to your web-footed friend, for that duck may be somebody's brother," sung to the tune of _Stars and Stripes Forever_.

(NEWSPAPERARCHIVE)
   Daily Intelligencer  Monday, November 22, 1982 Doylestown, Pennsylvania
...ruler and In turn being beaned with a ROTTEN TANGERINE. Another bit of..
Pg. 20, col. 3:
Remember that little ditty about "I hate Bosco. Bosco's bad for me. Mommy put it in my milk to try and poison me. I fooled Mommy. I put it in her tea, and now there is no mommy to try and poison me."
(...)
There are other songs in this category equally memorable such as the one sung to the tune of "The Battle Hymn of the Republic," whose lyrics contain reference to a teacher hitting a student with a ruler and in turn being beaned with a rotten tangerine.

HAVE TUX, WILL TRAVEL

(OCLC WORLDCAT)
Have tux, will travel;
Bob Hope's own story, as told to Pete Martin.