"Have Car, Will Travel" (1929)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Feb 4 05:14:56 UTC 2005

At 9:56 PM -0500 2/3/05, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
>There's also "Have Suitcase, Will Travel," but that appears to be from  about
>1955. This one with "car" makes a lot of sense.

Agreed, although these were somewhat before my time

>It was often used in the
>classifieds.

Aha.  The classifieds makes sense as an original locus, whether it
was "Have tux" or "Have car".  I was thinking telegrams--those
missing pronouns and articles do make it seem like telegraphese,
saving a few cents on each--but that would presumably apply to the
cost of classified ads too.

larry