Future (1861); Fool me once (1896); Conpoy (dried scallops)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Feb 4 06:36:38 UTC 2005

FUTURE AIN'T WHAT IT USED TO BE
..
Ben Zimmer writes:
Earlier cites have "is not" or "isn't" instead of "ain't":

Los  Angeles Times, Nov 3, 1963, p. M5
Today's generation of collegians is an  intense, serious group and they
realize far more than their elders that the  "future is not what it used to
be," he [sc. Dr. Abram L. Sacher] said.
On 6 April 2004, I posted "Future not what used to be (1961); No future in
time travel (1987)."  No one remembers?
FOOL ME ONCE, SHAME ONE YOU; FOOL ME TWICE, SHAME ON ME
I can't believe I haven't discussed this. I don't know what Fred has, if
anything.
(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
_SAN  DIEGO COUNTY.; Ben Butterworth's Great Speech Before Four Thousand
People. SAN  DIEGO BREVITIES. _
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=0&did=325525152&SrchMode=1&sid=1&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=110749692
1&clientId=65882)
Los Angeles Times (1886-Current  File). Los Angeles, Calif.: Oct 8, 1896. p.
13 (1 page) :
Now the question is, whether we shall let the same party fool us twice. If  a
man fools me once, it's his fault; and if he fools me twice it's my  fault.
_DEVERY'S  DICTIONARY.; Recent Contributions to Picturesque English -- The
Phrase Factory  of the Ninth District -- Grinding Out Epigrams That Stick -- A
Rich Mine of New  York Wit and Slang -- Typical Thoughts of a "Tough." _
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=1&did=118478542&SrchMode=1&sid=2&Fmt=10&VInst=P
ROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1107497165&clientId=65882)
New York Times (1857-Current. Sep 7, 1902. p. 33 (1 page)  :
If you want to see the real people of this town come over on Double Fifth
Avenue--that's what I call Tenth Avenue.
(...)
I learned that if you wanted a thing done, do it yourself, and then you  have
got next to the right man.
(...)
If you fool me once that's your fault. If you fool me twice that's my  fault.
(...)
No flies get into a closed mouth. See?
CONPOY
CONPOY--1,050 Google hits, 27 Google Groups hits
"Compoy" is discussed in this week's Village Voice. It's not in the OED and
not in William Grimes's EATING YOUR WORDS. "Conpoy" is mentioned in the Asia
Society's Asian food glossary.
_http://www.villagevoice.com/nyclife/0505,sietsema,60642,15.html_
(http://www.villagevoice.com/nyclife/0505,sietsema,60642,15.html)
Pumpkin stuffed with short ribs ($35) elicited oohs and aahs from my table
of lifelong Chinatown devotees, who have seen regional styles come and go in
this venerable immigrant neighborhood. Over the last decade, they've  su
ccessively feasted on Sichuan, Hunan, Chiu Chou, Shanghai, Fujianese,  Taiwanese,
Vietnamese, Hong Kong, and Malaysian fare, and now it was time to  come home to
the clean-tasting pleasures of Cantonese. Chinatown's oldest  cooking style
offers soups so thin and flavorful, you're tempted to gang several  up in a
single meal; ducks with skin as crisp as the crack of a whip; noodles  and fried
rice in dozens of permutations; bright-green vegetables smirched with  salty
oyster sauce; and seafood choices that range from local clams and flounder  to
such expensive imported exotica as shark's fin, abalone, and conpoy (dried
scallops).
_http://www.asiafood.org/glossary_2.cfm?wordid=2527_
(http://www.asiafood.org/glossary_2.cfm?wordid=2527)

Conpoy

Pinyin for gan bei, the Chinese name for a type of scallop. These very
expensive molluscs are cut from a type of sea scallop, dried and sold in Chinese
herbal shops. They require long soaking and steaming before they are ready to
be  eaten. A humble congee is elevated by adding 2-3 dried 'scallops' which
improves  the flavour no end.
Purchasing and storing: The large ones have better flavour. Purchase  from a
shop which has good turnover. They will keep indefinitely in an airtight
glass jar, but you don't want to buy any which are too ancient.
Preparation: Soak 4 dried scallops in enough warm water to cover and  steam
30 minutes or until soft. Pull apart into shreds, add to 2 cups cooked  rice
and 4 cups chicken stock together with the soaking liquid, and simmer with  4
slices fresh ginger until the rice becomes a porridge. Discard ginger. Stir in
a few drops of sesame oil, season congee with salt and white pepper, and serve
 hot, sprinkled with chopped spring onions (scallions). Serves 4.

(GOOGLE GROUPS)
_Sha Cha Jiang - Chinese Royal BBQ Sauce_
(http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.fan.jai-maharaj/browse_frm/thread/b46668447e5cc68/94ef2f9146cf5cdd?q=conp
oy&_done=/groups?q=conpoy&start=10&scoring=d&hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&&_doneTit
le=Back+to+Search&&d#94ef2f9146cf5cdd)
... Sancho (Japanese lemon-pepper, kinda) 5 pieces amaska (Asian
sweet-grass) 1 Tbs
dried shrimp -- soaked until soft 2-3 dried scallops  (conpoy) -- soaked
until ...
_alt.fan.jai-maharaj_
(http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.fan.jai-maharaj)  -  Mar 21 1997, 9:15 pm by pier - 1 message - 1 author
COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC
WHERE DID BARRY POPIK EAT ON WEDNESDAY?--McCormick and  Schmick's Seafood
Restaurant, 1285 Avenue of the Americas at 53nd Street. This  chain restaurant
finally reached New York City a few months ago. I think it's  perfectly fine, an
upscale Red Lobster.
WHERE DI DBARRY POPIK EAT ON THURSDAY?--Teng's  Pavilion, West 55th Street
between Fifth and Sixth Avenues. About average on  this block of interesting
restaurants.