Buttered Side (1841, 1857); Gods send nuts (1860); Oxford Quotations

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Feb 5 08:13:02 UTC 2005

OXFORD DICTIONARY OF PROVERBS(1982, 1992, 1998,  2003)
I had bought an older edition and have it buried in my  apartment, so I
decided to buy the 2003 edition. It contains some of the  proverbs I've discussed,
with some results better and some worse. Sorry  for not citing it before.
Pg. 31: YOU CAN'T TELL A BOOK BY ITS COVER is from 1929.  We beat that.
Pg. 60: WHY BUY THE COW IF THE MILK IS SO CHEAP? is from  1659.
Pg. 74: DIFFERENT STROKES FOR DIFFERENT FOLKS is from  1973. We beat that.
Pg. 116: FOOL ME ONCE, SHAME ON ME is from 1611  ("deceive me once"). Sorry
for posting on this. Titelman didn't give a  date for it.
Pg. 119: THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS A FREE LUNCH is from  1967. I had posted
that from about 30 years earlier.
Pg. 150: WHEN YOU ARE IN A HOLE, STOP DIGGING is from  1988. I had posted
1984.
Pg. 221: NO NAMES, NO PACK-DRILL is from 1923. I had  posted 1924.
Pg. 225: THERE'S NOWT SO QUEER AS FOLK is from 1905. I  posted 1872.
Pg. 237: IF YOU PAY PEANUTS, YOU GET MONKEYS is from  1966. I had posted 1968.
Pg. 278: IT'S A SIN TO STEAL A PIN is from 1875. I  posted 1841.
Pg. 337: A WOMAN, A DOG, AND A WALNUT TREE, THE MORE YOU  BEAT THEM, THE
BETTER THEY BE is from 1581. It's good to get additional  quotes, however, as the
walnut tree becomes a hickory tree.
Pg. 338: A WOMAN WITHOUT A MAN IS LIKE A FISH  WITHOUT A BICYCLE is a new
entry, dated from 1979. We all beat that  easily.
THE GODS SEND NUTS TO THOSE WHO HAVE NO  TEETH
Oxford cites 1929 American Speech for this. I don't know  what Fred has.
(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
_SUMMER  RESORTS.; LIFE AT SARATOGA AND NEWPORT. _
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=0&did=98875179&SrchMode=1&sid=1&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309
&VName=HNP&TS=1107590540&clientId=65882)
>From  Our Own Correspondent.. New York Times  (1857-Current file). New York,
N.Y.: Aug 29, 1860. p. 2 (1 page)
But the Oriental adage that: "Heaven sends almonds to those who have  no
teeth," was verified in the disposal of that blanket.
BUTTERED SIDE
Oxford has this proverb from 1867. It's like Murphy's  law--with two choices,
the worst outcome will result. Bread always falls  on the buttered side.
(NEWSPAPERARHIVE)
Tuesday, November 23, 1841 _Norwalk,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:norwalk+buttered+side+AND)  _Ohio_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:ohio+buttered+side+AND)
  _Huron Reflector _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=wUP6BEk4rpmKID/6NLMW2vynnkNBVZv8E8crKPO4KeOd5XSGz6G6XQ==)

...not fall upon the And  always on the BUTTERED SIDE. My misfortunes are
many.....so  nicely with die but- ter of greasy SIDE into the dirt of despon-
and leave..
..

_Compiler _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=wSCs6S0EhDCKID/6NLMW2l8R0Uw+WhgZ844UMRqmSkAnyVnYmGViGw==)  Monday, October 26, 1857
_Gettysburg,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:gettysburg+buttered+side+AND)  _Pennsylvania_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:pennsylvania+buttered+side+AND)      ...tell upun the floor, And
always on the BUTTERED SIDE For particulars see  result..
ASTOR QUOTES

     _Newark Advocate _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=NUCC4daB2aKKID/6NLMW2lPp6f8peiWooMLomvOZtCQRXo9KEVIjaw==)  Saturday, April 29,
1961 _Newark,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:newark+don)   _Ohio_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:ohio+don)
...I wish lo know when I am  having a GOOD TIME. Lady ASTOR. keeps life safe
buL.....been Quips Quotes The reason why I DON'T DRINK is  because..
     _Gettysburg Times _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=thiGuD36VKiKID/6NLMW2stPbckAGtnvxF2yQCjnj/sExD5VcLbMmw==)  Tuesday, December 24,
1996 _Gettysburg,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:gettysburg+don)  _Pennsylvania_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:pennsylvania+don)      ...I want to know when I  am having a GOOD
TIME." Lady ASTOR "One cannot  think well.....trying Colette "One of the reasons
I DON'T  DRINK is that..

     _Reno Evening Gazette _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=Ga2xMtpV76yKID/6NLMW2moNhPjAsYlopc0Jc+KfWklHIfxXPbDZ6EIF+CsZYmrz)  Monday,
May 04, 1964 _Reno,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:reno+penalty+of+success+and+astor)  _Nevada_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:nevada+penalty+of+success+and+astor)      ...together.
REMEMBERED QUOTE:  'The PENALTY OF SUCCESS is to be bored by.....people  who
used to snub you." Lady ASTOR. EARL'S PEARLS: All that  cooking..