"sammies"; was: Becky Mercuri's book American Sandwich

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Sat Feb 5 21:28:04 UTC 2005

>>>I never even questioned the use, since it's a very common term among
>>>people I talk to daily - ....
>>>
>>>I would classify it among the other common terms in use for sandwich,
>>>including sangwich and sammich. ....
>
>The use of "sammie/sammy" as a (nick)name/slang term for "sandwich" is
>new to me.

I surely don't recall ever encountering it either. "Sangwich" and "sammich"
(and "sanwich") are just casual pronunciation variants, I think, but
"sammy" (along with "sangy" and "sanny" and "sandy" and "sandwy" maybe) is
something else: baby-talk? advertiser-talk? diner-lingo?

I wonder what the age and gender distribution of "sammy" users would look like.

-- Doug Wilson