"sammies"; was: Becky Mercuri's book American Sandwich

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Sun Feb 6 02:42:17 UTC 2005

I asked a couple of younger persons whether they recognized "sammy" =
"sandwich". Initially both said "no" but on second thought one said that he
had seen "raspberry sammy" (some kind of cookie or so) at Bruegger's Bagels
and supposed this "sammy" stood for "sandwich". Maybe he's right. I
remembered then that I had seen that item also, and that I had had some
momentary curiosity as to what its name could mean: my two idle transient
notions had been [1] "samosa" (IIRC the sammy was a little triangular
thing) and [2] the given name "Sammy", and the possibility of "sandwich"
had not entered my so-called mind.

-- Doug Wilson