"sammies"; was: Becky Mercuri's book American Sandwich

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Feb 6 17:36:29 UTC 2005

Have never encountered "sammie," sandwich, in US till this discussion.

JL

"Douglas G. Wilson" <douglas at NB.NET> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Douglas G. Wilson"
Subject: Re: "sammies"; was: Becky Mercuri's book American Sandwich

The "sammie" which appeared in the ADS-L archives was among a group of New
Zealand words.

Here is a large list of NZ-isms, including "sammie" and other similar
things such as "footie" = "football", "pozzie" = "position", "breckie" =
"breakfast", etc.

http://chris.heathens.co.nz/NZese.html

"Sammie" = "sandwich" fits naturally enough in the NZ list.

If "sammie" = "sandwich" is conventional in the US, there should be
numerous examples in fiction: are there? It's hard to search since mostly
"Sammy" is a name; but I checked several expressions such as "ham sammie",
"have a sammie", etc. at Amazon search-inside and I don't see any "sammie"
= "sandwich". Maybe it's very new in the US?

-- Doug Wilson