The stink/The stank

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Mon Feb 7 14:52:56 UTC 2005

On Feb 7, 2005, at 5:35 AM, neil wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       neil <neil at TYPOG.CO.UK>
> Subject:      Re: The stink/The stank
> --------
>
> on 4/2/05 11:17 pm, Wilson Gray at wilson.gray at RCN.COM wrote:

>> -----------------------
>> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>> Poster:       Wilson Gray <wilson.gray at RCN.COM>
>> Subject:      Re: The stink/The stank

> -----
> --> -
>> In addition to its other meanings, I know it as a synonym of "cunt,"
>> which, though occasionally used, doesn't have a lot of traction
>> amongst
>> the bruz and cuz, for some random reason.
>>
>> -Wilson
>>
> From which we get 'play stink-finger', presumably.

I make the same presumption. FWIW, the standard black pronunciation is
"STANK-fang-a." Wherever possible, the phonetic representations of
slang terms are made to conform to the phonetic rules of Southern
English. (There's even a jazz tune whose title is a pun based on this
custom: "D-Natural Blues," i.e. "[(I got) dI naeC@] blues," as opposed
to its literal meaning as the title of a tune in the key of D-natural.)
Once upon  a time, I thought that this term was a universal of American
guy-talk or that its meaning would be immediately transparent   among
guys who'd never heard it before. I've since discovered that it's
totally unknown on the white-guy street and, even though I've always
used the standard pronunciation when talking to them.

> Conversely, there is a porn video series featuring simultaneous
> vaginal and
> anal penetration titled 'One in the Pink, One in the Stink'.

Uh, I'm not conversant with that cinematic genre, Neil. ;-)

-Wilson Gray