Disraeli Quote on PQHN

Geoffrey Nunberg nunberg at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU
Tue Feb 8 05:35:32 UTC 2005

I have heard the Judah P. Benjamin version as well. I've also heard
variants on this theme used in other contexts -- most unforgettably
when I was in Rome several years ago at a time when a convention of
leghisti (members of the separatist Lega del Nord) had descended on
the city. A local TV program featured a debate between a leghista and
and a Roman intellectual, who at one point said dismissively: "Mentre
i vostri allenati vangarono le foreste, i miei furono gia' froci" --
"While your ancestors were wandering around in the forests, mine were
already fags."

Geoff Nunberg