Dictionaries Online?

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Wed Feb 9 04:48:25 UTC 2005

> Check your local library's website.  The Columbus (OH) public
> library offers access to OED online if you have a library card.

Ditto for the San Francisco Public Library. Anyone with a California
driver's license can get a card and with it online access to the OED,
Proquest Historical NY Times, and a bunch of other online databases. But you
have to apply in person, so it's realistically limited to locals.

As for free online dictionaries, I tend to use Merriam Webster. The reason I
prefer it to American Heritage is that the URL is easier to type. That's if
I'm just checking spelling or a definition. If I'm seriously looking at a
word, I'll consult both.

--Dave Wilton
  dave at wilton.net
  http://www.wilton.net