"Dittybop / Dittybopper"

Wed Feb 9 15:21:26 UTC 2005

"Patti J. Kurtz" <kurtpatt4 at NETSCAPE.NET> corrects me:

A is no longer reserved for military-- my husband's call sign starts
with A (AB0ZB)  They changed a lot of that when they went from FCC
examiners to amateurs doing the testing.  But the numbers do still
indicate the region of the US  (0 being the Upper Midwest)
 <<<<<

But I have heard that when a ham moves from one part of the country to
another, they* can now take their old call sign along without appending "/n"
= "portable n" (n = the number of their new region), with the result that
the region number now tells you only where they lived when they qualified
for their license, not where they are now. Can your OM confirm this for me?

-- Mark
[This text prepared with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.]
* plural for epicene singular. Wanna make something of it?