Honeydripper (1946); Jonathan Green's "The Hawk" (1930s)

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Thu Feb 10 23:07:39 UTC 2005

On Feb 10, 2005, at 4:33 PM, George Thompson wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       George Thompson <george.thompson at NYU.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Honeydripper (1946); Jonathan Green's "The Hawk"
> (1930s)
> --------
>
> The nickname of Roosevelt Sykes (b. 1906) was the Honeydripper.  The
> entries in the New Grove Dict. of Amer. Music and the The encyclopedia
> of popular music, compiled & edited by Colin Larkin, 3rd ed, 1998 don't
> indicate when he took the name, but there's a pretty good chance that
> it would be before the mid-40s.

FWIW, Roosevelt Sykes fronted a group called "The Honeydrippers" in
1943, so it can be inferred that Sykes was using the name before that
date. Nevertheless, his 1945 recording of "The Honeydripper," was only
a cover of the original recording with that title by Joe Liggins. That
is, it was Joe Liggins who made the term, "Honeydripper," famous,
regardless of Sykes's earlier use of the term. The situation mirrors a
more recent incident. Hank Ballard wrote the song, "The Twist," and
originally recorded it with his group, The Midnighters. But it was
Chubby Checker's cover that made the twist an international phenomenon.

-Wilson Gray