"chocked full" (for the eggcorn files)

Fri Feb 11 20:21:08 UTC 2005

On Feb 11, 2005, at 8:50 AM, Laurence Horn wrote:

> In a letter of recommendation, a well-known linguist whose anonymity
> will be shielded here writes that a certain student maintains a web
> site "chocked full" of linguistic curiosities.  Checking on google, I
> find 39,400 hits for "chocked full", but it seems clear from the
> sources I checked (or chocked) that this can only be a reanalysis of
> "chock-full", which has been around since the 18th and possibly even
> the 15th c...

Language Log posting by Mark Liberman on some variants of "chock full",
8/18/04:
   http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/001359.html

response by me, with "chocked full", 8/19/04:
   http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/001363.html

(with reference back to an ADS posting of mine on 4/29/04)

arnold