Daily Candy Lexicon XI; Mommywood

Sat Feb 12 04:02:45 UTC 2005

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 21:22:14 -0500, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

>DAILY CANDY LEXICON XI
>
>This one seems especially silly. Some of these terms have no Google hits.
>It's like that infamous 1990s made-up grunge slang list in the New York
>Times...
[snip]

Or perhaps the model is the much wittier "Frictionary" slang made up by
Heather Havrilesky (aka "Polly Esther") for the now-defunct Suck website.

   http://www.suck.com/daily/2000/01/26/
   26 Jan 2000  Frictionary!

   http://www.suck.com/daily/2000/06/28/
   28 Jun 2000  Time For More Frictionary!

I don't know if any of Havrilesky's slang caught on, but I did notice in
one of her recent TV columns for Salon that she revived the useful term
"fraudience" ("a group of spectators abnormally populated by rabid
enthusiasts and fans placed there by PR reps")...

   http://salon.com/ent/tv/review/2005/02/07/i_like/
   Later, Ashlee called in to "TRL" and prattled on about swollen vocal
   cords and severe acid reflux to a fraudience of screaming girls.

--Ben Zimmer