huffing and puffing

neil neil at TYPOG.CO.UK
Sat Feb 12 21:37:11 UTC 2005

I have been lent a book titled '61 Pimlico', supposedly the journal of one
mid-Victorian photographer named Henry Haylor (ed Bill Jay, Nazraeli Press,
Tucson, 1998).

I strongly suspect that it is  fabrication. However, the following sentence
caught my eye, and I wondered if anyone has any evidence of early use of the
phrase 'huffing and puffing'.

'We talked for hours, each of us huffing and puffing away like noisy steam
engines on different tracks until, in the middle of my most eloquent, and
pompous, tirades she closed my mouth with hers.'

-Neil Crawford