American Negro Folklore (1968)

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Sun Feb 13 21:03:20 UTC 2005

Thank you. I was confused by the term, "old minstrel song." When I was
a pre-adolescent, ODT was one of my most favoritest songs, in the
version sung by Burl (sp? In my day, this was quite a popular name
among black males, with many spelling variations, such as "Berl,
"Beryl," "Burrell," etc.) Ives, so I've always thought of it as a
folksong and yes, even back in those pre-TV days, I knew that Ives was
white.

FWIW, I'm reminded that I read somewhere that "Antoine" is currently
the most common name among black professional football players and that
it's spelled over 27 different ways.

-Wilson