"You can kill a man, but not an idea" (1949) and more

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Feb 13 23:48:32 UTC 2005

"I've been a moonshiner for seventeen long years..."

Entire song is in Carl Sandburg's "American Songbag" (1927). It has been recorded several times.

JL

Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Bapopik at AOL.COM
Subject: "You can kill a man, but not an idea" (1949) and more

Here are some of the black folklore terms against ProQuest...The Chicago
Tribune is at 1959, not 1969.
_AUTO WORKERS ASK CIO: OUST LEFT-WINGERS; Chicagoan Loses Fight on
Resolution _
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=1&did=489446162&SrchMode=1&sid=24&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1108289671&clientId=65882)
GEORGE HARTMANN. Chicago Daily Tribune (1872-1963). Chicago, Ill.: Jul 12,
1949. p. 6 (1 page)
"You can kill a man with a 12 gauge shotgun," he (Walter Reuther--ed.) said,
"but you can't kill an idea. The UAW isn't a personal thing. It is an
ideal--it will carry on. We are more determined than ever that the fight of our
union will carry on."
_KING'S BRAVEST HERE; Honorable Artillery of London Seeing the Capital.
ESCORTED UP THE AVENUE English Organization and Their Boston Kindred Met by Troop
of Regulars and the Minutemen of This City -- Earl Denbigh at Head of His
Command -- Reception at White House To-day. _
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=0&did=259551062&SrchMode=1&sid=52&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VNam
e=HNP&TS=1108291528&clientId=65882)
The Washington Post. Oct 10, 1903. p. 2 (1 page)
The Englishmen have already got a war cry. The words are set to the tune of
a comic opera air, and when the band strikes on the air, the whole company
sung "Any rags, any bones, any bottles: the same old story in the same old way."
They sang this with evident enjoyment over and over again.
_"Any Rags, Bones, Bottles, Today?"; It Is Hardly Possible That the Cry of
the Ragman Should Suggest to the Layman the Systematized Commerce in Trash or
the Scientific Utilization of Garbage Now Practiced by the Capital -- But
That Is What We Have Come to -- Read the Facts and Be Glad of It. _
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=4&did=247275782&SrchMode=1&sid=52&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&V
Type=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1108291528&clientId=65882)
By DAVID RANKIN BARBEE. The Washington Post. Aug 11, 1929. p. SM6 (2 pages)
_"ANY RAGS, ANY BONES, ANY BOTTLES TODAY?"_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=5&did=399212251&SrchMode=1&sid=52&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VNa
me=HNP&TS=1108291528&clientId=65882)
Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.: May 27, 1938. p.
11 (1 page)
_A LINE O' TYPE OR TWO_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=0&did=359416212&SrchMode=1&sid=54&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1108292020
&clientId=65882)
Chicago Daily Tribune (1872-1963). Chicago, Ill.: Dec 5, 1921. p. 8 (1 page)
A FEW heart-throbs from the autograph album:

I wish you luck, I wish you joy,
I wish you then a baby boy,
And when his hair begins to curl,
I wish you then a baby girl.
JULIA RAYMER.
_THE MODERN ALMANAC_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=0&did=509165402&SrchMode=1&sid=57&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1108292380&cl
ientId=65882)
Herb Daniels. Chicago Daily Tribune (1872-1963). Chicago, Ill.: May 27,
1956. p. H4 (1 page)
Autograph books, you'll be delighted to know, endureth forever with small
fry. WIth school's impending end, there suddenly is born a bittersweet knowledge
of time's flight and a compulsion to capture the happy _now_.

Then autograph books appear as suddenly as a hatch of fluttering
butterflies. Now, as in our day, it is not enough to sign the book. You pick a favorite
color page, write a verse of comment, _then_ sign.

Remember: _Roses are red,/ Violets are blue,/ A face like yours' Belongs in
a zoo_!? Or: _Roses are red,/ Tar is black,/ If I had a knife/ It would be in
your back_!

Advice may accompany autographs: _Don't make love on the garden gate. / Love
is blind, but the neighbors ain't_!
_It's Slangy, Slurry and Fast; SIDEWALKS OF AMERICA: Folklore, Legends,
Sagas, Traditions, Customs, Songs, Stories and Sayings of City Folk. Edited by B.
A. Botkin. Illustrated with drawings. 605 pp. Indianapolis and New York: The
Bobbs-Merrill Company. $5.95. _
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=1&did=96513532&SrchMode=1&sid=64&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=110
8293118&clientId=65882)
By HORACE REYNOLDS. New York Times (1857-Current. Dec 5, 1954. p. BR50 (1
page)
When it leaves the open air, it often goes into something sordid and seamy:
the tawny burlesque house, to learn the origin of the strip tease; the
honky-tonk, to hear, "If you don't like my peaches, don't shake my tree"; the
employment houses on Skid Row to overhear a bum talking to his buddy about hiring
out as a gandy-dancer.
_AMERICA'S FOLK SONGS_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=0&did=96928048&SrchMode=1&sid=93&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1108295683&c
lientId=65882)
By ELIE SIEGMEISTER. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Feb
11, 1940. p. 133 (1 page)
I've been a moonshiner for seventeen long years,
I've spent all my money on whisky and beers.
I'll go to some holler, I'll pick up my still,
I'll make you one gallon for a two-dollar bill.
I'll go to some grocery and drink with my friends,
No woman to follow to see what I spends.
God bless those pretty women, I wish they were mine;
Their breath smells as sweet as the dew on the vine.
I'll eat when I'm hungry and drink when I'm dry,
If moonshine don't kill me, I'll live till I die.
God bless those moonshiners. I wish they were mine.
Their breath smells as sweet as the good old moonshine.
_Other 8 -- No Title_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=0&did=462914702&SrchMode=1&sid=96&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&V
Type=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1108296175&clientId=65882)
Chicago Daily Tribune (1872-1963). Chicago, Ill.: Feb 12, 1946. p. 16 (1
page)
3. "God don't like ugly," is a common remark of Negroes in Charleston, S.
C., to indicate that God dislikes
Homeliness Wickedness Dirt Liquor

ANSWERS
3. Wickedness.