"Roll, Jordan, Roll" (1862)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Feb 14 01:03:04 UTC 2005

"Roll, Jordan, Roll" is a year earlier on another database....The following web site has the lyrics, but no song history (as usual).

(GOOGLE)
ROLL JORDAN ROLL Official Site of Negro Spirituals, antique Gospel ...Back to songs index. ROLL JORDAN ROLL. Roll Jordan, roll Roll Jordan, roll I wanter go to heav'n when I die To hear ol' Jordan roll ...
www.negrospirituals.com/news-song/roll_jordan_roll.htm - 10k - Cached - Similar pages

(NORTH AMERICAN WOMEN'S LETTERS AND DIARIES)
1. Towne, Laura Matilda. "Diary of Laura Matilda Towne, July, 1862"
[Page 73 | Paragraph | Section | Document]
A grand, noble flag, supplied by General Saxton, was stretched over the road in full view. The people, marshalled by Mr. Wells on one side, Mr. Gannett on the other, came in procession from below and above the church carrying branches in their hands and singing "Roll, Jordan, Roll." They formed under the flag and before the platform into a dense mass and sang many of their own songs. At General Saxton's request, Nelly's school-children then sang Whittier's song-- "Now praise and tank de Lord, he come To set de people free;

2. Towne, Laura Matilda. "Letter from Laura Matilda Towne, July 17, 1862"
[Page 79 | Paragraph | Section | Document]
flowers, the hedges of Adam's-needle, with heads of white bells a foot or two through and four feet high; the purple pease with blossoms that look like dog-tooth violets-- just the size-- climbing up the cotton-plant with its yellow flower, and making whole fields purple and gold; the passion flowers in the grass; the swinging palmetto sprays. I send the music. It is not right, but will give you some idea. "Roll, Jordan, Roll" is the finest song. Notes 17 Richard Soule, Jr.

3. Grimké, Charlotte L. Forten. "Diary of Charlotte L. Forten Grimké, October, 1862"
[Page 128 | Paragraph | Section | Document]
and the gorgeous clouds of crimson and gold were reflected in the waters below, which were smooth and calm as a mirror. Then, as we glided along, the rich sonorous tones of the boatmen broke upon the evening stillness. Their singing impressed me much. It was so sweet and strange and solemn. "Roll, Jordan, Roll" was grand, and another "Jesus make de blind to see Jesus make de deaf to hear Jesus make de cripple walk Walk in, dear Jesus," and the refrain "No man can hender me." It

4. Grimké, Charlotte L. Forten. "Diary of Charlotte L. Forten Grimké, November, 1862"
[Page 136 | Paragraph | Section | Document]
fine singing. It was very pleasant to be at church again. For two Sundays past I had not been, not feeling well. This eve. our boys and girls with others from across the creek came in and sang a long time for us. Of course we had the old favorites "Down in the Lonesome Valley," and "Roll, Jordan, Roll," and "No man can hender me," and beside those several shouting tunes that we had not heard before; they are very wild and strange. It was impossible for me to understand many of the words although I asked them to repeat them for me. I only know that one had something about "De Nell Am

5. Grimké, Charlotte L. Forten. "Diary of Charlotte L. Forten Grimké, December, 1862"
[Page 151 | Paragraph | Section | Document]
man of very gentlemanly and pleasing manners.-- A good man, and much interested in the people, I sh'ld think. I liked him. Then Mr. Fairfield [?] spoke to them about the birth of Christ. Afterward they sang; Among other things, "John Brown," Whittier's "Hymn," "Sing, oh Graveyard," and "Roll, Jordan Roll." There was no one present beside the teachers, our household, [Lt.] Col. B[illings] [,] Mr. T[horpe], Mr. F[airfield] and Miss Rosa [Towne] and Miss W[are]. I enjoyed the day very much. Was too excited and interested to feel weariness then, but am quite

6. Grimké, Charlotte L. Forten. "Diary of Charlotte L. Forten Grimké, July, 1863"
[Page 192 | Paragraph | Section | Document]
we had taught them for that occasion. Then addresses were made by Mr. Pierce, Mr. Lynch (a colored minister) and other gentlemen, there was more singing by the children and by the people, who made the grove resound with the grand tones of "Roll, Jordan, Roll." Then they were all treated to molasses and water-- a great luxury to them-- and hard tack. Among others from Beaufort, Mrs. Lander, and Mr. Page, the [New York] Tribune Correspondent were there. I had met them before--

7. Editor. "Introduction" [ Note]
James Hugo Johnston, Race Relations in Virginia and Miscegenation in the South, 1776-1860 (Amherst, Mass., 1970), pp. 165-90, 243; Kenneth M. Stampp, The Peculiar Institution: Slavery in the Ante-Bellum South (New York, 1956), pp. 350-61; Eugene D. Genovese, Roll, Jordan, Roll: The World the Slaves Made (New York, 1974), pp. 413-29; Bertram Wyatt-Brown, Southern Honor: Ethics and Behavior in the Old South (New York, 1982), pp. 307-24; Weiner, "Plantation Mistresses and Female Slaves," pp. 131-39, 177-90; bell hooks, Ain't I a

Results Bibliography
Towne, Laura Matilda, 1825-1901, Diary of Laura Matilda Towne, July, 1862, in Letters and Diary of Laura M. Towne Written from the Sea Islands of South Carolina 1862-1884. Holland, Rupert Sargent, ed.. Cambridge, MA: Riverside Press, 1912, pp. 310. [Bibliographic Details] [View Full Text][7-4-1862] S381-D014
Towne, Laura Matilda, 1825-1901, Letter from Laura Matilda Towne, July 17, 1862, in Letters and Diary of Laura M. Towne Written from the Sea Islands of South Carolina 1862-1884. Holland, Rupert Sargent, ed.. Cambridge, MA: Riverside Press, 1912, pp. 310. [Bibliographic Details] [View Full Text][7-17-1862] S381-D015

Grimké, Charlotte L. Forten, 1837-1914, Diary of Charlotte L. Forten Grimké, October, 1862, in The Journal of Charlotte L. Forten. Billington, Ray Allen, introd.. New York, NY: Dryden Press, 1953, pp. 248. [Bibliographic Details] [Biography] [View Full Text][10-21-1862] S294-D067

Grimké, Charlotte L. Forten, 1837-1914, Diary of Charlotte L. Forten Grimké, November, 1862, in The Journal of Charlotte L. Forten. Billington, Ray Allen, introd.. New York, NY: Dryden Press, 1953, pp. 248. [Bibliographic Details] [Biography] [View Full Text][11-2-1862] S294-D068

Grimké, Charlotte L. Forten, 1837-1914, Diary of Charlotte L. Forten Grimké, December, 1862, in The Journal of Charlotte L. Forten. Billington, Ray Allen, introd.. New York, NY: Dryden Press, 1953, pp. 248. [Bibliographic Details] [Biography] [View Full Text][12-1-1862] S294-D069

Grimké, Charlotte L. Forten, 1837-1914, Diary of Charlotte L. Forten Grimké, July, 1863, in The Journal of Charlotte L. Forten. Billington, Ray Allen, introd.. New York, NY: Dryden Press, 1953, pp. 248. [Bibliographic Details] [Biography] [View Full Text][7-2-1863] S294-D076

Editor, Introduction, in Secret Eye: The Journal of Ella Gertrude Clanton Thomas, 1848-1889. Burr, Virginia Ingraham. Chapel Hill, NC: University of North Carolina Press, 1990, pp. 469. [Bibliographic Details] [Undated] S616-D001