Melioration

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Mon Feb 14 20:33:40 UTC 2005

For a while, back in '71, "get it up to/for" had a brief run. I think
that it began to die around the time that a female colleague was heard
to comment that she "couldn't get it up to go across the street," where
a class was being held while the campus was shut down by an anti-war
protest. A suggestion by this same woman, after the inappropriateness
of the use of this bit of guy-talk by a woman had been explained to
her, that women, therefore, should say, "get it wet to/for" probably
applied the coup de grace.

The somewhat similar phrase, "get/be up to/for" has a familiar ring,
but it's been around so long that I can't get it up to claim that that
phrase has the same origin as "get it up."

-Wilson