Knife & Fork, Like My Peaches & Shake My Tree (1944) and more

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Feb 15 06:24:13 UTC 2005

NEW YORK CITY FOLKLORE
edited by B. A. Botkin
New York: Random House
1956

Pg. 4:
"Here's where we change to the express; we save five minutes."
"What are you going to do with them?"
[From NEW YORK AND THE STATE IT'S IN (1949) by Keith Jennison--ed.]

A TREASURY OF AMERICAN FOLKLORE
edited by B. A. Botkin
New York: Crown Publishers
1944

Pg. 768:
Knife and fork!
Bottle and cork!
That's the way to
Spell New York!

Pg. 779:
Whistling girls and crowing hens
Alway come to some bad ends.

Pg. 783:
Sam, Sam,
The dirty man,
Washed his face in a frying-pan,
Combed his hair with the back of a chair,
And danced with the toothache in the air.

My son John is a nice old man,
Washed his face in a frying-pan,
Combed his hair with a wagon-wheel,
And died with the toothache in his heel.

Pg. 790:
See a pin and pick it up,
All that day you will have luck;
See a pin and let it lay,
You'll have bad luck all that day.

Pg. 793:
Apples, peaches, creamery butter,
Here's the name of my true lover.

Pg. 795:
Betty, Betty, stumped her toe
On the way to Mexico;
On the way back she broke her back
Sliding on the railroad track.

Pg. 798:
Bless the meat,
Damn the skin,
Open your mouth
And cram it in.

Pg. 799:
If you don't like my apples,
Then don't shake my tree;
I'm not your boy friend,
He's after me.

Pg. 800:
First comes love,
Then comes marriage,
Then comes Edith
With a baby carriage.

LAY OF THE LAST MINSTREL
By HORACE REYNOLDS. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Nov 6, 1938. p. 175 (1 page)
Lasses is ushering out minstrelsy in person. FOr three years he was with Field. I've seen him stop Field's shopw, taking fifteen encoures, with his "If You Don't Like My Peaches, Don't Shake My Tree."