"penny" pre-1831 for 'U.S. cent'?

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Tue Feb 15 15:37:53 UTC 2005

Perhaps you database-searching guys will have better luck on
this. I'm looking for an example of _penny_ referring to a
U.S. government-issued one-cent coin, antedating 1831.  I am
aware that in the colonial period, and for some time
thereafter (until the U.S. developed the ability to mint
sufficient coinage for itself), the U.S. used British-issued
coin, and during this time, the word _penny_ was used in
America to refer to a British penny. But I'm looking for a
U.S. one.

Thanks. A correspondent at the American Numismatic Association
is absolutely sure that the term would have been in use
decades before 1831, but didn't have any examples at hand.

Jesse Sheidlower
OED