"Plant you now and dig you later" (1935)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Feb 17 07:04:39 UTC 2005

This is so stupid I love it. The HDAS has it from the New York Times of May
9, 1943. (The first "dig" entry there is 1938.) It's repeated twice in the
following book I was going through.
THE BOOK OF NEGRO FOLKLORE
edited by Langston Hughes and Arna Bontemps
New York: Dodd, Mead & Company
1958
Pg. 480:
"Like the farmer and the 'tater, plant you now and dig you later"--means,  "I
must go, but I'll remember you."
Pg. 486 (HARLEM JIVE TALK, IDIOMS, FOLK EXPRESSIONS):
PLANT YOU NOW AND DIG YOU LATER: I'll leave you now to see you by and  by.
(NEWSPAPERARCHIVE)
     _Hammond Times _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=9qnHh8I+Pl6KID/6NLMW2nLhVKQpr+YtsGEMdnKdZ9roBG8iBNFqP0IF+CsZYmrz)  Thursday,
September 05, 1935 _Hammond,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:hammond+plant+you+now+and+dig+you+later+AND)  _Indiana_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:indiana+plant+you+now+and+dig+you+later+A
ND)
...dictionary: "I'll  PLANT YOU NOW AND DIG  YOU LATER, which
means.....studies have indicated  that had our PLANT been used to capacity in 1929  over..

_Hammond Times _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=9qnHh8I+Pl6KID/6NLMW2nLhVKQpr+YtqMBfI4M4wcyFJqGGi4mX1kIF+CsZYmrz)  Thursday, September
05, 1935 _Hammond,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:hammond+plant+you+now+and+dig+you+later+AND)  _Indiana_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:indiana+plant+you+now+and+dig+you+later+AND)

...dictionary: "I'll  PLANT YOU NOW AND DIG  YOU LATER, means, "Take
it.....studies have.  indicated that had our PLANT been used to capacity in 1929
over..
Pg. 4, col.  3:
MY NEW YORK by  James Aswell
(...)
For the new  Harlemerican dictionary: "I'll plant you now and dig you later,
gate!"--which means, "Take it easy. I'll see you later."