"Call me a cab/taxi" (1901)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Feb 19 03:38:14 UTC 2005

This probably comes from a humor magazine such as Life, Puck, Judge, or
Texas Siftings. Here it is in the mouth of a famous American.
(GOOGLE)
_The  Coffee Place's Joke Stack_ (http://www.thecoffeepla
ce.com/Jokes/aaaaabjk.html)
The Coffee Place's Joke  Stack. "Call me a taxi," said the fat man. "Okay,"
said
the doorman. "You're a taxi, but you look  more like a truck to me." ... ...
www.thecoffeeplace.com/Jokes/aaaaabjk.html - 2k - _Cached_
(http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:TqttnGezcvgJ:www.thecoffeeplace.com/Jokes/aaaaabjk.html+"ca
ll+me+a+taxi"+"you're+a+taxi&hl=en&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.thecoffeeplace.com/Jokes/aaaa
abjk.html)
(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
_MR.  CHOATE ARRAIGNED BEFORE THE LOTOS CLUB; Pleads Guilty to Intense Joy at
Being  Home Again. Mr. Carnegie Testifies to New York's Good Government --
Senator  Depew, ex-Speaker Reed, and Mark Twain Also Heard. _
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=0&did=117977107&SrchMode=1&sid=5&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQ
D&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1108781135&clientId=65882)
New  York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Nov 17, 1901. p. 3 (1
page)
Mr. Howland added another to the collection of Choate anecdotes the dinner
brought forth.
"At a certain drawing room in London," said he, "a guest approached Mr.
Choate, who was in the conventional dress of the English waiter, and said, 'Call
me a cab.' 'All right,' said Mr. Choate, 'if you wish it. You're a cab.'"
[Laughter.]
_A  Choate Story._
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=1&did=546785872&SrchMode=1&sid=7&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1108781801&client
Id=65882)
The Atlanta Constitution  (1881-2001). Atlanta, Ga.: Jan 26, 1902. p. 7 (1
page)
(same as below, but from the Buffalo Commercial--ed.)

_Choate's  "Hansom" Apology._
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=2&did=546802432&SrchMode=1&sid=5&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=110878
1135&clientId=65882)
The Atlanta Constitution  (1881-2001). Atlanta, Ga.: Feb 3, 1902. p. 5 (1
page)
Brooklyn Eagle: Now that Ambassador Choate has returned from "near the  Court
of St. James," the following story, among many others about him,  is  in
circulation: A semo-state reception was given at the residence of a certain  lord
and Mr. Choate, in his "court dress" of plain broadcloth, was inconspicuous
in comparison with the gold laced and insignia decorated representative of
other  countries.

When the nigh was waning one of the departing guests, whose indulgence
probably made him forget that English lackeys on such occasions were the livery  of
their office, approached Mr. CHoate and requested him to call him a cab. The
response was a blank stare. Upon his repeating the request: "Won;t you call
me a  cab, please?" Mr. Choate responded: "Certainly. You're a cab." Imagine
the  indignation of the insulted Englishman, who, upon making complaint to the
host,  was asked, as a favor. to point out the offender.

After a search through the crowded saloons the Englishman was quite at the
elbow of Mr. Choate when he exclaimed: "That's the man!" The whispered reply,
"Why, that's the United States ambassador," was heard by Mr. Choate. Then a
presentation and explanation of the unfortunate mistake. Mr. Choate, in his
characteristic way, said: "My lord, the gentleman need not fell at all
disturbed; I remember the circumstance very well. If the gentleman had been just  a
little more polite I should have called him a 'hansom cab.'"
_http://www.bartleby.com/61/64/C0316400.html_
(http://www.bartleby.com/61/64/C0316400.html)
Choate, Rufus
    DATES: 1799–1859   American politician who served as a U.S.
representative  (1831–1834) and senator (1841–1845) from Massachusetts. His son Joseph
Hodges Choate (1832–1917) was ambassador to Great Britain (1899–1905).