party hearty (1955), party hardy (1974)

Sun Feb 20 19:14:30 UTC 2005

In case anyone missed the announcement on Language Log, Chris Waigl has
put together a terrific website, the Eggcorn Database:

http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/

I've been posting some entries (though Chris has already covered most of
those that have been discussed here and on the Language Log).  I just put
up an entry for "party hardy":

   -----
   http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/english/134/hardy/

   hearty » hardy
   Chiefly in:   party hardy

   Web usage runs about 1.3:1 in favor of <party hearty>. The <hardy>
   variant has been popular at least since the '70s (see, e.g., the song
   "Party Hardy" by the funk band Slave released in 1977, the same year
   that another funk band, L.T.D., released "We Party Hearty").

   The variant with <hardy> is clearly influenced by <party hard>.
   -----

I was wondering how old the "hearty" and "hardy" variants are.  Proquest
takes "party hearty" back to 1955:

-----
Washington Post, Dec 24, 1955, p. 21, col. 1
Young Set Still Party Hearty
Those party-hearty people who manage, somehow, to take in four and five
debuts a day are complaining.
-----

The earliest I can find on N-archive for "party hardy" is from 1974:

-----
Stevens Point Daily Journal (Wisc.) Dec 4, 1974, p. 20, col. 4
Spring-Polydor — "ACT 1," party hardy people, the same old story, do you
feel it.
-----

Is there anything earlier in the various college slang compendia?

--Ben Zimmer