"Y'all redux"

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Mon Feb 21 16:59:43 UTC 2005

I stayed out of SW Ohio a lot when I was a kid (we were Cards fans,
not Reds fans), but I reckon they would have sounded a bit like me,
although the SE Ohio folk probably sounded more like me (cept for
that feesh & poosh stuff).

I wouldn't pay too much attention to items in the phrase "Y'all come
back, now, y'hear?," which has such formulaic status as to make the
internal elements suspect. Even Michiganders offer this phase when
asked what Southerners sound like.

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor of Linguistics
preston at msu.edu