Singular "yez"?

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIOU.EDU
Mon Feb 21 19:23:59 UTC 2005

I've been looking back at the "yez/y'all" thread we spun in mid-December
and, at the risk of being redundant, I've picked out a few messages that
seem to tie up loose ends re. this singular/plural issue.  The recognition
that a core Deep South usage may change in its fringe or boundary areas
seems to me important.  Thus West Texas is not East Texas, and maybe
Tennessee and Kentucky (and southern Ohio) exhibit, and tolerate, more
singular "y'all" use than the South does.  And I'm not considering "frozen
idioms" here, of the "Y'all come back soon" variety.

The singular "yez/ye" issue is similar.  I had said I heard Ralph Stanley
use singular "ye," and someone else reported singular "yez" vs. plural
"youse" (in Irish English and in Irish-immigrant areas in America.  The
same might happen with "y'uns/yinz," though I haven't heard these used in
the singular.

I'll listen closely to Ralph Stanley when he comes to Athens in a couple of
weeks (with the Clinch Mt. Boys) and get back to you all!  (That's my
personal, and very comfortable, accommodation to the plural usage, btw.)

Beverly Flanigan
Ohio University