Dialects in the movies

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Tue Feb 22 18:22:49 UTC 2005

On Feb 22, 2005, at 11:50 AM, Barbara Need wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Barbara Need <nee1 at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Dialects in the movies
> --------
>
>> Matt Damon's and Ben Affleck's Boston accent in Good Will Hunting is
>> authentic. I think they are both from Boston -- I see Ben Affleck on
>> TV coverage of many Red Sox games. Robin Williams' accent is not
>> great in that film. I think his character was supposed to be from
>> South Boston.
>>
>> Tivoli
>
> A cousin of mine from the Boston area reported hearing Damon and
> Affleck speaking Southie on SNL--and it took her a little while to
> realize why this should be funny.

Needless to say, I'm only too familiar with that reaction. Your cousin
has my complete and utter sympathy, On the other hand, I must admit
that people speaking a not-from-around-here dialect do be sounding
right funny, if they can be understood at all. You just have to be
careful. A friend of mine once asked a group of Jamaicans what language
they were speaking and was caught completely off-guard by the answer:
"English." She was expecting to hear them answer "Yoruba" or "Twi" or
some such.

-Wilson Gray