Singular y'all?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Feb 22 22:54:38 UTC 2005

I too have heard pl. poss. "your-all's," but not more than a very few times. The speakers *seemed* to be Southerners.  Wish I could remember more.  (Goes for generally, too).

JL

Rachel Shuttlesworth <rshuttle at BAMA.UA.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Rachel Shuttlesworth
Subject: Re: Singular y'all?

I agree with you, Jason (and BTW, hey, man, how's it going at APR? Long
time, no see.).

I think that in some professions, particularly those where groups of two
or more persons are commonly addressed, a Southerner (at least an
Alabamian) can inadvertently say "y'all" to one person; I had to
self-correct y'all to you more than once when working as a hostess in a
restaurant in Tuscaloosa. I also know that "y'all" CAN be said to one
person, but referring to more than one, at least around here (as in Ron
Butter's 2001 article in AmSp). Please note that I am not EVEN trying to
refute any of the singular "y'all" cases found in Texas or Oklahoma.
Bailey and Tillery have done work on this, right (1998, also in AmSp)?
I've also been told by a native Oklahoman (sorry, no more details than
that) that he has heard and used "y'all" as singular. I responded with,
"As in, 'I love y'all's shirt'?" He said, "Yep."

On the possessive form, I say "y'all's," but the one that took the cake
in my book was "your all's" from a resident of Florida, native of New
Jersey, who is a y'all user.

Rachel

--

Dr. Rachel E. Shuttlesworth
CLIR Post-Doctoral Fellow
University of Alabama Libraries
Box 870266, Tuscaloosa, Alabama 35487-0266
Office: 205.348.4655/ Fax:205.348.8833
rachel.e.shuttlesworth at ua.edu