"Y'all" redux

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Wed Feb 23 00:12:27 UTC 2005

Jeez, Bev, I'm sorry. I didn't mean my post as a criticism of your
post. I was just adding some info. Since I'm retired, I use trash TV,
especially Jerry, Maury, and the Club Comic View show on BET, as my
informants. On those shows, you will almost never hear a possessive /s/
used by a black guest and its use is getting to be relatively rare
among Latins, especially in the phrase, "baby daddy," which BET even
pluralizes in print as "baby daddies," though you would expect "babies'
daddies."

-Wilson