"in the mist of" (possible new eggcorn)

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Wed Feb 23 00:41:12 UTC 2005

On Feb 22, 2005, at 6:12 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: "in the mist of" (possible new eggcorn)
> --------
>
> "In the mist of life we are in death."
>
>           --<OnlyRice>, "I was just thinking about  guard..,"
> (Usenet:rec.arts.marching.colorguard), Aug. 14, 1997.
>
> And elsewhere, no doubt.
>
> JL

Re: "I was just thinking about guard..."

I'm sure that I'm missing your point, Jon, but this use of "guard"
reminds me of one of my own early overcorrections. Once we'd left Texas
and I discovered that [r] could occur somewhere other than
word-initially, I decided that the proper pronunciation of "God" must
be "Guard" and that "God" and "Guard" were the same word: "Guard." Of
course, once I'd learned to read well enough, I gave up that idea.

-Wilson