One more movie question

Rachel Shuttlesworth rshuttle at BAMA.UA.EDU
Wed Feb 23 15:50:08 UTC 2005

Bringing Down The House might be a good one to look at; I've used it
with success in intro classes. Queen Latifah uses African American
English and offers some imitations of stereotypical ideas of AAE. She
also switches to MUSE (maybe "honky-speak" is a better term for what she
does ;-}}). Steve Martin tries to speak AAE, once facetiously and once
in a more serious attempt to infiltrate an African American club. Also,
you may already know about this, but Lisa Green's chapter on African
American English in "Language in the USA: Themes for the Twenty-first
Century" (Eds. John Rickford and Edward Finegan) is an excellent (and
short) article on AAE, including info on AAE in films. The film she
claims doesn't get AAE right (mostly verb forms) is "Fresh" (1994),
which I've never seen.
Rachel

--

Dr. Rachel E. Shuttlesworth
CLIR Post-Doctoral Fellow
University of Alabama Libraries
Box 870266, Tuscaloosa, Alabama 35487-0266
Office: 205.348.4655/ Fax:205.348.8833
rachel.e.shuttlesworth at ua.edu