hollo / hullo/ hello / hi / hey as simple greetings

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Feb 23 21:43:32 UTC 2005

At 4:29 PM -0500 2/23/05, Wilson Gray wrote:
>Wasn't there a character who lived in "Allen's Alley" who said....
>Nope. That character said "Howdy, bub," not "Hey, bub."
>
>-Wilson

I believe it was Ann Landers (although it may have also been Dear
Abby, her twin) who was especially fond of the "Bub" salutation, as
in "Wake up and smell the coffee, Bub".  WAG:  could Ann, nee Eppie
Lederer from a nice Jewish family in Chicago, have truncated "Bub"
from "Bubbeleh"?

larry