"Gwine"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Feb 24 02:29:30 UTC 2005

At 3:52 PM -0500 2/23/05, Wilson Gray wrote:
>Yes. You are correct, sir. It *was* Old Crow that was known as "Dirty
>Bird." Folk are friendlier to brands like Jim Beam and Jack Daniel's,

reminds me of a line I liked in "Monster's Ball" (speaking of movies):

My husband used to LOVE him some Jack Daniel's.
-Leticia (Halle Berry's character) to Hank (Billy Bob Thornton's) in
"Monster's Ball"

The referent is of course the (African-American) man who was put to
death earlier in the movie.  (I like the line for the "personal
dative", but I don't mind me some Jackie D on occasion myself,
although I usually go for non-schoolboy scotch.)

>known to their confidants as "Jimmy B." and "Jackie D.," respectively.
>For some reason, probably just for the hell of it, a drink that was
>known elsewhere as "WPLJ" (white port & lemon juice, celebrated in
>several R&B tunes of the '50's)

Any relation to the very high-profile alternative rock radio station
in New York with those call letters, I wonder?  (Maybe it's not
alternative rock these days, I wouldn't know, but it was in the 70s.)

larry