Bourbon,

James C Stalker stalker at MSU.EDU
Thu Feb 24 03:48:42 UTC 2005

This is not a linguistic post.  Well, I guess parts of it are.

For a good bourbon, I suggest Evan Williams.  Aged longer than JB and JD,
and cheaper.  Goes down smooth.  Good stuff.  Makes great red eye gravy when
frying Cumberland Gap ham. Add some apple slices when frying, and even a bit
of hard cider or apple brandy for a goooood gravy (known in France as jus,
in most of the US as au jus).  Evan Williams is KY bourbon to boot, as
opposed that JB stuff, TN whiskey, therefore not bourbon.

I am NOT prejudiced.

I haven't checked the ADS files, but I assume that someone has noticed that
whiskey seems to be Celtic in  origin: Irish, Scotch, KY, TN(ok, ok, I'll
let them TN folks in because it strenghtens my argument).  And then there is
Canadian, which to me is rye, but to Northerners, whiskey.  And an awful lot
of those Canadians are of Scots and Irish origin.

Jim Stalker, b. Louisville, KY, in the bourbon district.

stalker at msudu