rawk (1987)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Feb 25 12:29:08 UTC 2005

Yes, Larry. "Shmog" in that context would have to rhyme with "dog."  But in any other context it wouldn't.

JL

Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Laurence Horn
Subject: Re: rawk (1987)

At 2:19 PM -0800 2/24/05, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>Blog, clog, cog, flog, frog, Gog, grog, hog, jog, log, nog, tog, and
>wog all rhyme.

[and, in response to John Baker, JL observes that "Hog rhymes with
Prague. Dog rhymes with...nothing ! Hog and Prague have the vowel of
"car." Dog has the vowel of "saw" and "law."]

I proudly share Jon's vowels. The script-a of the above words also
shows up in "bog", "fog", and any coinages or acronyms of the form
C(n)og that might be constructed. If I were going to invent a pet
name for beef stroganoff, "Strog" would rhyme with "b(l)og" and not
"dog".

>Dog don't.

Here's a tricky one--"dog, shmog--what I want is a ferret!" I think
"shmog" has got to rhyme with "dog". Maybe it has to be spelled
"shmawg" for us dog-versus-world types, though.

larry