rawk (1987)

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Fri Feb 25 14:11:36 UTC 2005

David,

I always knew there was something I really liked about you. Now I
know what it is: your open oh/ah distribution before /g/ is exactly
the same as mine! Maybe I am not the last living speaker of Standard
American English (SAE 10-W-40, the norm) after all!

But, I wonder if the notorious variability you mention might not be
explained by a word frequency/early learning appeal. Every one of
your (and my) open oh words (hog, frog, dog, log...) is a relatively
high-frequency and early-learned word; every ah word is a relatively
low-frequency and later-learned word (jog, cog, blog...). In my case,
for example, since "smog" is right in the middle (middle frequency,
learned only a little earlier than some of the ah words), I don't
like either pronunciation.

How do you deal with some of the other historical open oh producers?
ah before /f/ is really hard for me to get, even in late learned
words (e.g., Hoffa). I remember a "Poff" family where I grew up, and
I think we ah-ed them, but it hits my ear funny even today.

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor of Linguistics
preston at msu.edu