church key 'beer-can opener' is obsolete

Fri Feb 25 16:41:36 UTC 2005

Why would one need an opener for a beer can? Today they are all self-opening,
and have been for decades.

If people under 40 do not know the term, it seems likely that this is because
the expression has died out because the word is no longer necessary.
Moreover, in the context that mcgraw describes, even I, who recall the word fondly
from my youth in Iowa, would have been quite uncertain what he was asking me for.