a bunch of the boys ?was/?were...

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Mon Feb 28 06:27:38 UTC 2005

On Feb 27, 2005, at 11:29 PM, Arnold M. Zwicky wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Arnold M. Zwicky" <zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU>
> Subject:      a bunch of the boys ?was/?were...
> --------
>
> I was struck by the following sentence in a review (NYT Book Review,
> 2/27/05, p. 17) of JT LeRoy's "Harold's End" by Albert Mobilio, who
> edits the fiction section of Bookforum:
> -----
> "Harold's End" is set in the parks and alleys of San Francisco, where a
> group of teenage hustlers takes drugs and turns tricks.
> -----
>
> I would have gone for "take" and "turn" myself, but it's an arguable
> point.

It's not an arguable point at all. You are correct, sir. All that one
need do is apply the relevant prescriptive rule:

1) "The group" et sim. require a singular verb phrase.

2) "A group" et sim. require a plural verb phrase.

-Wilson [I do but jest, of course. But (1) and (2) above are real
prescriptive rules that I was taught in high school.]