Irish Lingo & Million Dollar Baby

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Feb 28 16:03:49 UTC 2005

My comic-strip memories begin about 1954, too late for the characters mentioned,

JL

Wilson Gray <wilson.gray at RCN.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Wilson Gray
Subject: Re: Irish Lingo & Million Dollar Baby

Right you are. And, again, I'm surprised by how old the song is. Does
anybody else remember the radio and comic-book character, Hop Harrigan,
his sidekick, whose name I've forgotten (Tank? But I'm probably
confusing him with Tank McNamara), and the gremlin. whose name I've
also forgotten. But I still remember the nickname that Hop gave to the
native girl: "Singsong." Which reminds me, the song title is
"Harrigan," not "Harrington." No wonder that I couldn't match the meter
with the song: "Spell it H, A, dooble R, I, G, A, N ?spells 'Harrigan'?
That's me!"

-Wilson