ice box (was: obsolescene [was church key])

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Mon Feb 28 16:58:01 UTC 2005

We never had the kind of ice box where an ice man came to replenish the
ice, but we always called our refrigerator an ice box.  I switched to
"fridge" only much later in life.  Like Alison, I still catch myself saying
it sometimes, and producing "fridge" often requires a pause for
"translation."

Peter Mc.

--On Sunday, February 27, 2005 12:02 PM -0500 sagehen