[was church key]/ice box

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Mon Feb 28 22:59:52 UTC 2005

On Feb 28, 2005, at 5:07 PM, paulzjoh wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       paulzjoh <paulzjoh at MTNHOME.COM>
> Subject:      [was church key]/ice box
> --------
>
> Anyone else grow up in apartment buildings where there was an access
> door from the outside direct to the icebox, so iceman didn't have to
> come in the house?  Do you remember forgetting to empty the drain pan
> and having water all over the kitchen floor?

Forgetting to empty the drain pan? Sigh! Only too well.

> How many kids did you know who stabbed themselves with the family
> icepick?

Icepick? Reminds me of an old Redd Foxx bit:

"White folk be sayin' that colored men always be carryin' knives.
That's a damn lie!"
[Wait a beat.]
"I been carryin' a icepick for the past thirty years."

>   And in the summertime, the delights of a sawdust covered ice
> chip from the iceman's wagon?

The wagon was pulled by a horse, right? In St. Louis, the iceman
covered his ice with a heavy tarp and not sawdust. That way, we knew
that the ice chips were always sterile. (Yeah. Right.)

-Wilson