"That'll learn 'em!" (1923); Bonkers (Yonkers, Bronxville)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Jan 2 04:51:14 UTC 2005

THAT'LL LEARN 'EM
THAT'LL LEARN--13,100 Google Hits, 8,120 Google Groups hits
The Knicks played the Nets tonight. The Knicks' Stephon Marbury declared
himself the best point guard on the planet. The Knicks' Jamal Crawford said
there's no rivalry--the Nets stink.
The Nets won the game. "That'll learn 'em!" posted one fan.
This is not in the OED and not in HDAS. DARE has an entry for "learn" going
back to 1769, but no "that'll learn him." There's one 1899 "I'd learn  you."
Nothing appears to show up until the 1920s, and then the expression seems  to
have become widespread in the 1930s.

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
    _THE  GORILLA AND THE GIRL; GORILLA AND THE GIRL _
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=0&did=342339632&SrchMode=1&sid=1&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQ
T=309&VName=HNP&TS=1104638454&clientId=65882)
THOMAS BURKE. Los Angeles Times  (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.:
Sep 23, 1923. p. XI4 (2  pages)
First page: "That'll learn yeh to keep yeh tongue  quiet.
2.
_"Times"  Daily Short Story; A PAIR OF SOCKS _
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=1&did=368894492&SrchMode=1&sid=1&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VN
ame=HNP&TS=1104638454&clientId=65882)
OCTAVUS ROY  COHEN. Los Angeles Times (1886-Current  File). Los Angeles,
Calif.: Jun 14, 1927. p. 11 (1 page) :
The big palooka starts for me, and in self-defense I hit. Bess  squelas, "The
one-two," she yells. "That'll learn him whose wife to  insult!"

_THAT'LL  LEARN 'EM_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=6&did=228157202&SrchMode=1&sid=3&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1104639729&clie
ntId=65882)
The Washington Post (1877-1954).  Washington, D.C.: Jul 20, 1951. p. C6 (1
page)

(NEWSPAPERARCHIVE)
     _Bismarck Tribune _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=wSCs6S0EhDCKID/6NLMW2oS7Q8uFj9mVcC6WXqZmz/8nyVnYmGViGw==)  Wednesday, June 03,
1931 _Bismarck,_ (http://www.newspaperarch
ive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:bismarck+that)  _North Dakota_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:north_dakota+that)
...to make a for 30 Pathfinder  THAT'LL LEARN 'EM father likes the young eve
to.....prominent official savs it pub- Hcitv that Capone and other He  noted..

_Charleston Daily Mail _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=wSCs6S0EhDCKID/6NLMW2nC7gGdJOAml1nMhOaJmDhQjbtL4V7NJxQ==)  Monday, July 04, 1932
_Charleston,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:charleston+that)  _West Virginia_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:west_virginia+that)
...look after hisself for a  bit. THAT'LL LEARN I'll be sor- ry to lose ou
Maybe.....secretary. You know as well as I do that I must take anything  that I
can..

_Appleton Post Crescent _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=Pf2/SIh9fJOKID/6NLMW2ktCtNw4NUlTgCz8ir8TIE22e3BKI3+lFg==)  Monday, April 08,
1929 _Appleton,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:appleton+that)  _Wisconsin_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:wisconsin+that)
...amused eyes and muttered,  'THAT'LL LEARN 'em to let But his "Ma"
baking.....exclaimed  blankly. "Here Let me have that receiver, Faith." "I'll do no
such..

_Lima News _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=/TuInQ3tu5uKID/6NLMW2rYynu+yLaeNjhJ8Wevnm1WWEFJK8xUIR0IF+CsZYmrz)  Sunday, November 13, 1921
_Lima,_ (http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:lima+that)
_Ohio_ (http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:ohio+that)

...and Alf turned to tie door.  '.'THAT'LL LEARN he panted." "I don't -want
no more.....been  some underhand -work going on, I'll dp all that man can do to
put  things..

_Newark Advocate _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=9qnHh8I+Pl6KID/6NLMW2oHHF/C3HUebonLjoFogHAPqJleqkjQqbEIF+CsZYmrz)  Saturday, April 06,
1929 _Newark,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:newark+that)  _Ohio_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:ohio+that)
...amused eyes and muttered,  "THAT'LL LEARN. Mm to let trees alone. I'll
go.....grin.  Ijillian joined in "Just for that you'll wait a spell to hear  the..

_Ironwood Daily Globe _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=e0sfgs8TnFyKID/6NLMW2oKLDG5TtKTLS1gxpX4E8Ox5SA8Cl27YiEIF+CsZYmrz)  Monday, April
01, 1929 _Ironwood,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:ironwood+that)  _Michigan_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:michigan+that)
...pump, merely with amused  'THAT'LL LEARN Miss Linda. Mueller, of.....no
other  entertainments of note for that date, It Is probable that  the..

BONKERS
I thought today's New York Post  "Home" section would be online, but I
didn't see this article. It mentions a "micro-neighborhood" (that word again) of
Yonker and Bronxville that's just "Bonkers."
(GOOGLE)
_Commentary: ZIP codes share the wealth_
(http://www.nyjournalnews.com/newsroom/051303/b01p13reisman.html)
... It's an old joke in these parts that people blessed with the  10708 ZIP
live neither
in Yonkers nor Bronxville but in  "Bonkers." Insanity notwithstanding, the
www.nyjournalnews.com/ newsroom/051303/b01p13reisman.html - 46k -
Supplemental Result - _Cached_
(http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:TEZBiCa4-WMJ:www.nyjournalnews.com/newsroom/051303/b01p13reisman.html+bonkers+yonkers+bronxville&h
l=en&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&c2coff=1&q=related:www.nyjournalnews.com/newsroom/051303/b01p13reisman.ht
ml)
COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC
WHERE DID BARRY POPIK EAT?--The weather has been great and I was walking  all
over. The only problem was that it gets dark early and I found myself in
Bed-Stuy, and that's not good. I walked on Graham Avenue and Manhattan Avenue,
but didn't find a good place.
I ate at Congee, 98 Bowery. The place has some nice write-ups in the  window.
It's always busy, mostly with a Chinese crowd. It was good, but I  couldn't
taste any vast difference from anywhere else. Someone at my table (a  regular
here) said the fried chicken is outstanding, but I didn't order  that...There
aren't tables for one, so I sat at a round table with other diners.  In some
ways, it's better that way since you can talk to other diners. I had the
congee, and it was good, but it's still porridge.
FYI, here's a review, both of the Congee restaurant and of Chinatown:
_http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0307/sietsema.php_
(http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0307/sietsema.php)

Just as Fuzhou restaurants had become so  numerous, especially along East
Broadway, that there seemed no way to  distinguish them; and just as the giant
Hong Kong banquet and dim sum palaces  had slunk off like dinosaurs looking for
a place to die; and just as the  Malaysian restaurants had stopped multiplying
like the Shanghai and Vietnamese  places before them, surrendering our
enthusiasm in the process; so had the  neighborhood seemed almost dead again, except
to the throngs of Chinese shoppers  who descend each day from all corners of
the city to buy the freshest meats,  fish, and produce, and the Noah's ark of
dried sea creatures set out on the  sidewalk in boxes, expecting nothing from
Chinatown's myriad restaurants except  a bowl of congee and a fried cruller.
But Chinatown never stops remaking itself. Get a  glimpse of its new face at
Congee, which opened without fanfare on a stretch of  the Bowery that hasn't
seen a good restaurant in decades, if ever. Congee is  obviously inspired by
Congee Village, the neighborhood's biggest success story  of the last decade,
which, though it recently doubled in size, still requires  30-minute waits. The
Congee Village formula incorporates dishes from Hong Kong  and south China,
throwing in things from the Chinese diaspora of Southeast Asia  and America. On
one hand are funky organ meats that most Occidentals wouldn't  touch; on the
other are American favorites like chow mein and fried chicken. You  can blow a
wad on abalone or shark's fin soup, but the lower end of the price  range is
equally well-served, with loads of dumplings, over-rice bargains, and,  of
course, congees.
While Congee Village is located just south of  Delancey Street, Congee is
planted in the older Chinatown, in a high-ceilinged  space that could have been a
bank lobby or religious sanctuary. Bacchanalian  grapes adorn the faux
stained-glass windows, and grapes made from Christmas  ornaments dangle from the
ceiling. Despite the vinic motif, wine is nowhere to  be found, except in the red
rice-wine vinegar thoughtfully served with soups,  the traditional start of a
south Chinese meal. Eight precious fish maw soup  ($9.95, easily enough for
four) is particularly good, though after identifying  scallops, squid, shrimp,
and the maws, which are cottony like the ends of  Q-tips, we gave up counting.
A dash of vinegar sends the soup into orbit.
The menu includes a whopping 252 dishes in 15  groupings, and, even with
large groups of diners and three visits, we could only  scratch the surface. The
best dish was the long-winded "sauteed dried squid and  dried shrimp with green
and yellow chives" ($16.95), looking like a haystack set  in a sunny field.
Second place went to salt baked squid ($8.95), fresh baby  creatures fried with
cashews and thinly sliced jalapeños, not as spicy as it  sounds. Fried
chicken ($9 for a large half) is a restaurant specialty, rendered  crisp, heaped
with chopped scallions, and lapped with a featherweight garlic  dipping sauce.
Skip the Shanghai soup dumplings: thick-skinned, undersouped, and  leaden,
they're clearly out of the restaurant's territory. In fact, skip all the  dumplings—
the glory days of dim sum palaces like Golden Unicorn and Triple  Eights can
never be revisited.
But by all means order congee, slightly more  delicate and gingery than
Congee Village's. The announced specialty is superb  from the luxury bowl of
lobster ($5.75), which really does contain a decent  amount of crustacean, to the
peasant grab-bag of sampan ($3.50), topped with  roast salted peanuts like some
baseball-stadium snack. This rice gruel, also  known as jook, is a mainstay of
Cantonese food. So ultimately, Congee represents  the restoration of
Cantonese food to its traditional Chinatown bastion, in a  new, more versatile guise.